How to disable AVG when the operating system cannot be started properly
If you suspect that an AVG component is preventing your computer from starting properly, follow the steps below to verify the situation.
- Use AVG Rescue CD to boot your computer.
- When the AVG Rescue CD is launched, select the Utilities -> File Manager menu item.
- Navigate to the mounted system drive. This will be /mnt/sda1/ in most cases.
- Within this drive, navigate to the /Windows/system32/drivers/ folder.- Rename (using the F6 key) all files starting with avg (e.g. avgldx86.sys, avgtdix.sys, etc.) to back them up. You can change their extension from .sys to .bak, for example.
- Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and reboot the system (make sure to remove the AVG Rescue CD from your optical drive before doing so).- Your system will boot without AVG being involved in the process.
AVG fix link:
This does not automatically come up, BUT when you manually look for the update Skype > Check for update you may be faced with a message “unable to mount database”, or “incorrect password”.
You may get the report that Skype reports that it closed unexpectedly and if you wish to reopen. If you do so I believe this is one of the causes for this issue.
Close Skype completely and open again. You should then be able to log in with no trouble. If not then remove the application and reinstall again.